Re: [RFC 0/6] perf tools: Report event parsing errors

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Mon Apr 20 2015 - 16:10:14 EST

Em Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 10:42:58PM +0200, Jiri Olsa escreveu:
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 07:39:27PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > So since we now know exactly what's going on, we might want to drop
> > the 'invalid or unsupported event' language as well, and make it
> > specific:
> >
> > $ ./perf record -e 'cpu/even=0x1/' ls
> > event syntax error: 'cpu/even=0x1/'
> > \___ unknown term
> >

> > ?
>
> ok
>

> > Also, for the above error, could we easily list the valid terms? An
> > error like:
> >
> > $ ./perf record -e 'cpu/even=0x1/' ls
> > event syntax error: 'cpu/even=0x1/'
> > \___ unknown term
> > valid terms: "event", "raw".
> >
> > or so?
>
> we already carry list of all terms for given pmu,
> so it shouldn't be a problem

So, do you want me to apply this series and you work on top of it or
should I wait for another that implements what Ingo suggested?

Also, we have:

[root@zoo ~]# perf stat --all -e cycles usleep 1

Performance counter stats for 'system wide':

3,382,595 cycles

0.001739102 seconds time elapsed

[root@zoo ~]# perf stat --all-cpus -e cycles usleep 1

Performance counter stats for 'system wide':

2,435,672 cycles

0.001191689 seconds time elapsed

[root@zoo ~]# perf stat --a -e cycles usleep 1
Error: Ambiguous option: a (could be --no-no-aggr or --append)

usage: perf stat [<options>] [<command>]

[root@zoo ~]#

Which is nice, wouldn't it be good to have it for the that as well, i.e.
for your example "ev=" would be a valid, and shorter form of "even=" or
"event=".

- Arnaldo