Re: BLK_MQ_F_DEFER_ISSUE

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Mon Apr 20 2015 - 11:58:59 EST

On 04/20/2015 09:09 AM, Jeff Moyer wrote:
Hi, Jens,

This flag was introduced under the auspices that the nvme blk-mq
conversion would make use of it. That never materialized. Are there
still plans to make use of it? If not, I'd like to get rid of it. If
so, then let's document it better.

Yep I still want to use it, and I do have a patch that uses it as well that I've run through testing. I thought I had pushed it somewhere, but it doesn't seem like I have. I just wanted to get the lower hanging optimizations out there first, like the kmalloc/kfree and queue-lock-for-completions removal. Former is in, latter is not yet.

It's a useful optimization for lots of cases and I'm sure it'll see other uses, once the nvme patch is in. That will give people a reference point.

--
Jens Axboe