Re: AM335x OMAP2 common clock external fixed-clock registration

From: Sebastian Hesselbarth
Date: Thu Apr 16 2015 - 16:37:32 EST

On 16.04.2015 18:17, Michael Welling wrote:
On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 07:32:32AM +0300, Tero Kristo wrote:
On 04/15/2015 11:51 PM, Michael Welling wrote:
On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 01:45:53PM -0700, Mike Turquette wrote:
On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Michael Welling <mwelling@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
There is still an issue with the si5351.

I had to comment out the clk_put here for the frequency to show up:
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/clk/clk-si5351.c#L1133

Ideas?

What is the most recent upstream commit that you are based on?

I am working from 4.0.0-rc7.

7b43b47373d40d557cd7e1a84a0bd8ebc4d745ab

Hmm, I wonder why si5351 calls clk_put immediately after of_clk_get
in the first place, as far as I understand this destroys the clock
handle, which is still being used later in the code.

Not sure how this ever worked. This has been in the code since the
initial commit.

The reason it worked before may be related with recent rework of
clk_put() itself and clk cookies instead of pointers. I lost track on
the recent clk subsystem changes here, sorry.

However, droping the clk immediately surely isn't right.
The thing is, we can remove the clk_put() just because there is no
_remove() for that driver. I remember that back in the days the driver
was mainlined, clk removal wasn't too easy.

FWIW, as soon as _remove() support will be added by someone, we'll have
to rethink passing struct clk* by platform_data or at least
double-check if we ever used [of_]clk_get() to obtain it.

Mind to send a patch removing the clk_put() on !IS_ERR and add a proper
error path instead? While of_clk_get() is the only calls that need
cleanup on error in si5351_dt_parse() we should probably move that
calls to the end of this function. Otherwise we'd also have to cleanup
on every of_parse_foo() failure.

Sebastian