Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

From: Martin Steigerwald
Date: Wed Apr 15 2015 - 05:28:51 EST

Am Mittwoch, 15. April 2015, 11:02:12 schrieb Greg Kroah-Hartman:

> > > Do you have any technical objections to the patch as proposed?
> >

> > If I had, I would have written it. I explained already that I see
> > that
> > kernel developers have strong technical objections with kdbus. And
> > that I think it is important to acknowledge it, instead of telling
> > them, that the API is required from userspace, userspace people know
> > what they do, and they should just go away with their concerns.
> >

> > Thats at least how I received quite some of your responses.
> >

> > Well and I raised an eyebrow on the busname matching rules and the
> > capability stuff. Yet, I didnÂt comment on it, cause I didnÂt look at
> > it in-depth. I just ask you to take those seriously who did.
>
> I take technical comments very seriously, where have I not? If you have
> technical reasons why the current implementation has problems, please
> let me know, and I will be glad to address them.

>From what I read you basically answered all technical comments like in:

The dbus API is like it is for a very good reason, everyone is using it
and everyone agrees. Capabilities are used in userspace for good reason
and so on.

But I see, here, not everyone does.

Most of your answers didnÂt seem to address the concerns raised of having
this in the *kernel*. Especially the security concerns.

Thats what I meant with "And yes, I think its good not to force just about
any userspace into the kernel". I think arguing with this is how userspace
does it pattern, even if it truly is for a very good reason, is not
sufficient as argument for having it in the kernel.

I am just looking at the argumentative pattern here. If other kernel
developers complain about how hard it is to review and wrap their mind
around the kdbus patchesâ I am scared at just trying to understand the
patches. So no technical complaints from me. I did not nack it nor do I
see myself in the position to nack it.

So feel free to do with my argument what you like. I just tried to
understand why the communication in here works in circles as it does and I
think will continue to work like that as long as its the userspace does it
that way argument or this is optional argument only. For the discussion to
go anywhere its important to acknowledge each other.