Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

From: John Stoffel
Date: Tue Apr 14 2015 - 16:15:17 EST

>>>>> "Greg" == Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Greg> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:57:22AM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman
>> <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > First off, thanks for reading the docs, I appreciate that. But realize
>> > also, that this is straight from the D-Bus spec. We aren't doing
>> > anything "radical" here, this is what your desktop uses that you are
>> > typing your email from.
>> >
>> > Yes, it's an unfortunate design, but one that we are all stuck with
>> > (think of it as having to implement code for horrid hardware that you
>> > have to get to work properly.)
>>
>> I agree. You've sent a pull request for an unfortunate design. I
>> don't think that unfortunate design belongs in the kernel. If it says
>> in userspace, then user programmers could potentially fix it some day.

Greg> You might not like the design, but it is a valid design. Again, we
Greg> don't refuse to support hardware that is designed badly. Or support
Greg> protocols we don't necessarily like, that's not the job of a kernel or
Greg> operating system.

Greg> And here's Havoc's response as to why actually, this is a good design:
Greg> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2015-April/016651.html

This is an interesting discussion, and one thing that sticks out to me
is the comments in the URL above talking about how clients are
supposed to use a generic name to bind to a resource, but actually do
a lookup to get the specific name, and then bind to THAT.

So the security concerns raised by Andy do seem to make sense, in that
either security needs to be the same across all names of a service, so
that you don't have problems with varying levels once people have
connected. In terms of the X11 analogy, if I have someone connect,
and then I do 'xhost -' it removes all access. It's not dependent on
whether I'm bound to a specific or general service.

So the security aspect really needs to be that the most restrictive
takes precedence, not the other way around.

And after having read a bunch of the docs, looked at the FAQ, etc;
it's still no clearer to me what DBUS and KDBUS provides that's all so
important or critical. Sure, it might be nice to have, but that's ok.

So I think that's the steps people need to take, give concrete example
of how DBUS is better than anything else out there and won't cause
more problems down the line.

John