Re: simple framebuffer slower by factor of 20, on socfpga (arm) platform

From: Tomi Valkeinen
Date: Thu Apr 09 2015 - 07:35:13 EST

On 09/04/15 14:21, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
> On 09/04/15 14:06, Pavel Machek wrote:
>> On Tue 2015-04-07 14:19:33, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>>> Hi Pavel,

>>> My first guess was commit 67dc0d4758e5 ("vt_buffer: drop console buffer
>>> copying optimisations"), but this was introduced only in v4.0-rc1.
>>>
>>> Just in case you encounter another performance regression after upgrading
>>> to a more modern kernel ;-)
>>
>> :-). I did a git bisect, and it pointed to this. And reverting it
>> indeed fixes the problem in 3.18. Problem is still there in 4.0.

The difference is probably caused by memcpy() vs memcpy_fromio(). The
comment above memcpy_fromio() says "This needs to be optimized". I think
generally speaking memcpy_fromio() is correct for a framebuffer.

That said, if the fb is in RAM, and is only written by the CPU, I think
a normal memcpy() for fb_memcpy_fromfb() should be fine...

Tomi