Re: BUG: perf top enters loop synthesizing events for existing threads

From: David Ahern
Date: Wed Apr 08 2015 - 09:48:30 EST

On 4/8/15 7:45 AM, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
I also noticed that if I set /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid to -1
to run it as !root, then the problem "goes away", which I think probably
is explained by, as !root, not being able to parse some of the /proc
files for existing threads and thus not triggering the bug, still
investigating...

odd. because this has nothing to do with perf_events; it is just walking /proc and for the ppid adds a strstr and atoi(str). Something else is at play. I'll take a look.

David