Re: [RFC 0/8] pmem: Submission of the Persistent memory block device

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Fri Mar 06 2015 - 20:39:44 EST

On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 11:37:45AM -0700, Ross Zwisler wrote:
> Regarding the PMEM series, my group has been working on an updated
> version of this driver for the past 6 months or so since I initially
> posted the beginnings of this series:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/27/674
>
> That new version should be ready for public viewing sometime in April.
>
> It's my preference that we wait to try and upstream any form of PMEM
> until we've released our updated version of the driver, and you've had a
> chance to review and add in any changes you need. I'm cool with
> gathering additional feedback until then, of course.
>
> Trying to upstream this older version and then merging it with the newer
> stuff in-kernel seems like it'll just end up being more work in the end.

We've been waiting far too long to get any version of this merged. I
dont think waiting for vapourware is a good idea. So either please post
your new code ASAP given that you apparently have it, or you'll just
have to do more work later. Given how simple the pmem driver is I
really can't see any major merge problems anyway.