Re: Possible lock-less list race in scheduler_ipi()

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Fri Mar 06 2015 - 09:35:35 EST

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Linus Torvalds" <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: "Mathieu Desnoyers" <mathieu.desnoyers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Indeed, the compiler should never reorder loads/stores from/to
same memory location from a program order POV. What I had in mind
is a bit more far-fetched though: it would involve having the compiler
reorder this load after a store to another memory location, which
would in turn allow another execution context (interrupt or thread)
to corrupt the list.

The assembly snippet you show above appears to be OK. However, another
compiler may choose to inline ttwu_do_activate, leaving room for
more aggressive optimizations.

But I agree that it is rather far-fetched.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers