Re: [dmidecode] [Patch v3] firmware: dmi-sysfs: add SMBIOS entry point area raw attribute

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Thu Feb 26 2015 - 04:41:44 EST

Replying to myself...

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 09:50:42 +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Please also note that the recently released version 3.0.0 of the SMBIOS
> specification introduces a new entry point format, and the firmware is
> allowed to implement both the old and the new format. It may be
> desirable to expose both to user-space under different names.

Having read the kernel code meanwhile, I see we will call either
dmi_smbios3_present or dmi_present successfully, not both, so
presenting both entry points to user-space would be non-trivial. So I'm
fine with presenting only one entry point in sysfs for the time being.
We can always revisit later if it turns out that dmidecode really needs
both in some cases.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support