Re: Question on SCTP ABORT chunk is generated when the association_max_retrans is reached

From: Marcelo Ricardo Leitner
Date: Mon Jan 26 2015 - 06:46:40 EST

Hi,

On 25-01-2015 23:27, Sun Paul wrote:
Hi

sorry for the late reply. I am a bit confused. when side-A sends a
request to side-B, and side-B return the response, but side-A keep
re-transmit the same request to side-B, why side-B needed to send a
ABORT to side-A?

That happens on data transfers. When A pushes data to B, A has to retry it until B finally acknowledges it and A receive this signal. If the ack from B gets dropped, A has no way to know if a) the ack was lost or b) its initial message never actually made it to A, thus it retransmits. If it reaches a limit, it gives up..

If it is used in order to reestablish the connection, shoudn't it
should be side-A to send ABORT instead?

Meant to reestablish it? Not really.. just to keep both sides in sync, as A has given up by then.

Marcelo

- PS