Re: Behaviour of smp_mb__{before,after}_spin* and acquire/release

From: Will Deacon
Date: Fri Jan 23 2015 - 09:08:50 EST

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 09:35:45PM +0000, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:34:43AM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 04:33:54PM +0000, Will Deacon wrote:
> > > I started dusting off a series I've been working to implement a relaxed
> > > atomic API in Linux (i.e. things like atomic_read(v, ACQUIRE)) but I'm
> > > having trouble making sense of the ordering semantics we have in mainline
> > > today:
> >
> > > 2. Does smp_mb__after_unlock_lock order smp_store_release against
> > > smp_load_acquire? Again, Documentation/memory-barriers.txt puts
> > > these operations into the RELEASE and ACQUIRE classes respectively,
> > > but since smp_mb__after_unlock_lock is a NOP everywhere other than
> > > PowerPC, I don't think this is enforced by the current code.
> >
> > Yeah, wasn't Paul going to talk to Ben about that? PPC is the only arch
> > that has the weak ACQUIRE/RELEASE for its spinlocks.
>
> I thought that you guys were going to propose something and we would see
> what the reaction was. ;-)

Well, ripping it out is quite easy (patch below) :)

I didn't fully grok the comment in the MCS code, since mcs_lock uses an
xchg, which does have full barrier semantics and therefore mcs_unlock +
mcs_lock also has full barrier semantics afaict.

The remaining problem it that this puts PowerPC back into its original state
(before the barrier) where UNLOCK + LOCK doesn't imply a full barrier, so
that would need to be fixed.

Anyway, kicking this out there for comments.

Will

--->8