Re: iwlwifi-driver card doesn't work with 3.19-rc2+

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Tue Dec 30 2014 - 10:04:05 EST

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014, Emmanuel Grumbach wrote:

> > I just booted current Linus' tree (5faa0154fe33) on my x200s thinkpad, and
> > wifi doesn't work. iwconfig is telling me that wlan0 interface has no
> > wireless extensions.
>
> So why do you used them?
> They have been deprecated for a couple of years now. You should be
> using nl80211 based tools such as iw.

My userspace wireless setup tool (wicd) is using wireless extensions, and
even the most recent version uses solely that.

I am pretty sure that's not the only tool in the world.

> > Previous kernel that is known to work on this machine is 3.18-rc5. I
> > can do a bisect if needed, but wanted to ask in case this is a known
> > problem.
>
> 3.19 is the first kernel that actually removed the wireless extensions.

That's userspace breakage I am pretty sure a LOT of people will be
hitting. I don't think this fits into the way we are maintaining userspace
compatibility at all.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs