Re: algif_hash: splice of data > 2**16

From: Stephan Mueller
Date: Wed Dec 24 2014 - 10:13:05 EST

Am Mittwoch, 24. Dezember 2014, 15:10:14 schrieb leroy christophe:

Hi leroy,

> Le 24/12/2014 10:03, Stephan Mueller a écrit :
> > Am Dienstag, 23. Dezember 2014, 18:16:01 schrieb leroy christophe:
> >
> > Hi leroy,

> >> Yes, it looks like the function I fixed is exclusively used by
> >> sendfile() system call.
> >> So there is probably the same kind of fix to be done in another function.
> >
> > I do not believe that is the case. IMHO the blocking issue is found in the
> > following code:
> >
> > splice_from_pipe_feed walks the pipe->nrbufs. And vmsplice_to_pipe defines
> > the maximum number of nrbufs as PIPE_DEF_BUFFERS -- which is 16. As
> > subsequent functions allocate memory based on PIPE_DEF_BUFFERS, there is
> > no trivial way to increase the number of pages to be processed.
> >
> > Thus I see that the vmsplice/splice combo can at most operate on a chunk
> > of 16 pages. Thus, you have to segment your input buffer into chunks of
> > that size and invoke the vmsplice/splice syscalls for each segment.
>
> Yes your are probably right. There splice needs to be called with
> SPLICE_F_MORE flag, hope that works.

That is not the only one. Vmsplice works on a pipe. A pipe is backed by 16
pages max. Thus, you have to call vmsplice once per 16 pages. The current code
I am testing which seems to work is the following:

while (inlen) {
size_t datalen = (inlen > MAXLEN) ? MAXLEN : inlen;

iov.iov_len = datalen;
ret = _kcapi_common_vmsplice_data(handle, &iov, 1, datalen,
1);
if (0 > ret)
return ret;
processed += ret;
iov.iov_base = (void*)(uintptr_t)(in + processed);
inlen -= ret;
}
return _kcapi_common_read_data(handle, out, outlen);

--
Ciao
Stephan