Re: [Bisected] linux-next 20141205 fails to mount ext4 fs on arm64 with CONFIG_ARM64_64K_PAGES=y

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Fri Dec 05 2014 - 15:58:15 EST

On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 10:54:20PM +0400, Dmitry Monakhov wrote:
> Liviu Dudau <Liviu.Dudau@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> Yes. This is my crap.
> - sbi->s_group_desc[group_desc]
> + gd_bh = *rcu_dereference(sbi->s_group_desc) + group_desc;
>
> Ted I have to admit that I'm an idiot.
> I already have fix where I've fixed the typo and complain from sparse
> which was reported by kbuild01. In order to prevent similar shame in future I've wrote several
> tests for resize2fs and unfortunately they are failed even w/o my
> patches. It is appeared that resize2fs is broken for big disks.
> So feel free to drop the patch, and give me some tome to investigate the
> issues. I'll back with the patch-set in 24hrs.

I had fixed the typo locally, but I'll drop this for now pending your
further investigations. BTW, I think the reason why we didn't notice
is because for smaller disks, it just worked out that

*rcu_dereference(sbi->s_group_desc) + group_desc ==
*(rcu_dereference(sbi->s_group_desc) + group_desc)

by pure luck based on how the allocator works, since all of the group
descriptor bh's get allocated back to back.

Let me know about your resize2fs failures on big disks; I had found
fixed a large number of problems with online and offline resizes with
huge disks, so I had done quite a bit of testing in that area. I
thought I had caught all of them, but if there are some additional
e2fsprogs or online resize bugs in the kernel bugs, I'd really like to
know. Thanks!!

- Ted