Re: [ANNOUNCE][RFC] KVMGT - the implementation of Intel GVT-g(full GPU virtualization) for KVM

From: Paolo Bonzini
Date: Fri Dec 05 2014 - 08:03:44 EST

On 05/12/2014 09:50, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> A few comments on the kernel stuff (brief look so far, also
> compile-tested only, intel gfx on my test machine is too old).
>
> * Noticed the kernel bits don't even compile when configured as
> module. Everything (vgt, i915, kvm) must be compiled into the
> kernel.

I'll add that the patch is basically impossible to review with all the
XenGT bits still in. For example, the x86 emulator seems to be
unnecessary for KVMGT, but I am not 100% sure.

I would like a clear understanding of why/how Andrew Barnes was able to
do i915 passthrough (GVT-d) without hacking the ISA bridge, and why this
does not apply to GVT-g.

Paolo