Re: How can I parse the command name from /proc/<pid>/stat?

From: Suzuki K. Poulose
Date: Fri Dec 05 2014 - 05:35:00 EST

On 04/12/14 19:44, Steven Stewart-Gallus wrote:
Hello,

Given an evil hacker trying to confuse process monitors that might use such
strange process names as 'pause) R 0 0 (foo' how can I correctly parse the
command name from /proc/<pid>/stat? Maybe I should just use /proc/<pid>/status?
Maybe there should be some documentation written on the issue? I just wanted to
send an email off to check if I was missing anything before writing a few small
additions to the documentation or filing a bug report. procps-ng seems to use an
ugly hack that involves knowing the limits on the size of a possible command
name that I'm not actually sure works totally correctly.

You can do something like :

cmd_start = strchr(stat_buf, '(');
cmd_end = strrchr(stat_buf, ')');

Cheers