Re: Bug: Fatal errors result in infinite stream of error messages

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Wed Dec 03 2014 - 15:52:48 EST

On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 05:11:49PM +0800, rui wang wrote:
> The problem is because kdump fails to load a new kernel, and we're
> executing past crash_kexec() in panic(). And it calls
> bust_spinlocks(0) which calls into the GPU driver trying to unblank
> the screen, which eventually calls __schedule() while waiting for a
> mutex to be released. But we're still in the machine check context.
> The infinite stream of errors is because there's a for(;;) loop in
> __mutex_lock_common(), so we enter __schedule() again and again.

Hmm, there's a bust_spinlocks(1) call in mce_panic() for which I have no
idea what it is for? To stop us from scheduling?

If so, why doesn't it stop us...?

There's also this:

void console_unblank(void)
{
struct console *c;

/*
* console_unblank can no longer be called in interrupt context unless
====> * oops_in_progress is set to 1..
*/
if (oops_in_progress) {
if (down_trylock_console_sem() != 0)
return;
} else
console_lock();

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Sent from a fat crate under my desk. Formatting is fine.