Re: What's the concern about setting irq thread's policy as SCHED_FIFO

From: Rick Jones
Date: Wed Dec 03 2014 - 11:51:35 EST

On 12/03/2014 12:06 AM, Qin Chuanyu wrote:
I am doing network performance test under suse11sp3 and intel 82599 nic,
Becasuse the softirq is out of schedule policy's control, so netserver
thread couldn't always get 100% cpu usage, then packet dropped in kernel
udp socket's receive queue.

In order to get a stable result, I did some patch in ixgbe driver and
then use irq_thread instead of softirq to handle rx.
It seems work well, but irq_thread's SCHED_FIFO schedule policy cause
that when the cpu is limited, netserver couldn't work at all.

I cannot speak to any scheduling issues/questions, but can ask if you tried binding netserver to a CPU other than the one servicing the interrupts via the -T option on the netperf command line:

netperf -T <netperfCPU>,<netserverCPU> ...

http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/trunk/doc/netperf.html#index-g_t_002dT_002c-Global-41

happy benchnmarking,

rick jones

So I change the irq_thread's schedule policy from SCHED_FIFO to
SCHED_NORMAL, then the irq_thread could share the cpu usage with
netserver thread.

the question is:
What's the concrete reason about setting irq thread's policy as SCHED_FIFO?
Except the priority affecting the cpu usage, any function would be
broken if irq thread change to SCHED_NORMAL?