Re: Side effect of pressing special keys

From: Pali RohÃr
Date: Wed Dec 03 2014 - 08:24:21 EST

On Wednesday 03 December 2014 14:12:54 Henrique de Moraes
Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Dec 2014, Pali RohÃr wrote:
> > Ok, and what about KEY_KBDILLUMTOGGLE when bios also handle
> > keyboard backlight level? Should be this key filtered too?
>
> IME, heck yes.
>
> If you ever make the mistake of sending to userspace something
> the BIOS/kernel already reacted to, they will find a way to
> loop it back to you and cause all sort of issues.

Ok, I think same. In KDE4 I see some loop/noop operation when new
dell keyboard backlight driver is used. Key KEY_KBDILLUMTOGGLE
cause that BIOS change brightness and also KDE4 see it and change
it too...

Similar problem there is with KEY_WLAN and NetworkManager.

Gabriele, can you create patch which disable both KEY_WLAN and
KEY_KBDILLUMTOGGLE in dell-wmi.c driver?

--
Pali RohÃr
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx