Re: frequent lockups in 3.18rc4

From: Chris Mason
Date: Tue Dec 02 2014 - 12:15:44 EST

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 6:13 AM, Mike Galbraith <umgwanakikbuti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At the same time, the whole "incapacitated by the rt throttle long
enough for the hard lockup detector to trigger" commentary about that
skip_clock_update issue does make me go "Hmmm..". It would certainly
explain Dave's incomprehensible watchdog messages..

Dave's first email mentioned that he had panic on softlockup enabled, but even with that off the box wasn't recovering.

In my trinity runs here, I've gotten softlockup warnings where the box eventually recovered. I'm wondering if some of the "bad" commits in the bisection are really false positives where the box would have been able to recover if we'd killed off all the trinity procs and given it time to breath.

-chris