intel drm regression with linux-3.18-rc4 kernel

From: Chris Vine
Date: Tue Nov 11 2014 - 04:53:31 EST

Hi,

There seems to be a regression with linux-3.18-rc4 using drm with i915
graphics on one of my machines, a crappy netbook which uses a Intel
Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated
Graphics Controller (rev 03) graphics controller, when using
gnome-shell. The first time I bring up X, direct rendering seems to
fail and at a guess the system falls back to software (llvm-pipe)
rendering - in any event, it is very slow (around 4 or 5 frames/sec
instead of 60 frames/sec). If I log out and log in again drm works
fine thereafter, with normal frame rates.

This regression occurred somewhere between the 3.17 and 3.18-rc4
kernels.

Chris