.exit.text section in vmlinux ?

From: Peter Hüwe
Date: Tue Oct 21 2014 - 17:16:27 EST

Hi,

as far as I remember everything marked with __exit or __exit_data will only be
used/called when unloading a module, and gets moved to the .exit.text or
.exit.data sections.

Why are these sections present in the vmlinux/vmlinux.bin/bzImage and not
dropped by the linker or at least objdump?
This code will never be called for everything compiled in - in an allyesconfig
build these sections account for ~80kb of code.

Is there something I'm missing here, or can we add "--remove-section
.exit.data --remove-section .exit.text" to the OBJCOPYFLAGS for vmlinux?

Thanks,
Peter