Re: [RFC 0/5] CR4 handling improvements

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Tue Oct 21 2014 - 00:12:19 EST

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> This little series tightens up rdpmc permissions. With it applied,
> rdpmc can only be used if a perf_event is actually mmapped. For now,
> this is only really useful for seccomp.

So just to be difficult...

I am aware of at least one group who is doing low-latency performance
measures using rdpmc on Linux.

They start the counters manually by poking the MSRs directly (bypassing
perf_event_open()).

They use rdpmc, grateful for the fact that currently CR4 is set up so they
can do this w/o patching the kernel.

These patches of course would break this use case...

Vince