Touch processing on host CPU

From: Nick Dyer
Date: Fri Oct 17 2014 - 06:48:44 EST

Hi-

I'm trying to find out which subsystem maintainer I should be talking to -
apologies if I'm addressing the wrong people.

There is a model for doing touch processing where the touch controller
becomes a much simpler device which sends out raw acquisitions (over SPI
at up to 1Mbps + protocol overheads). All touch processing is then done in
user space by the host CPU. An example of this is NVIDIA DirectTouch - see:
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2012/02/24/industry-adopts-nvidia-directtouch/

In the spirit of "upstream first", I'm trying to figure out how to get a
driver accepted. Obviously it's not an input device in the normal sense. Is
it acceptable just to send the raw touch data out via a char device? Is
there another subsystem which is a good match (eg IIO)? Does the protocol
(there is ancillary/control data as well) need to be documented?

cheers

--
Nick Dyer
Senior Software Engineer, ITDev