Re: Document POSIX MQ /proc/sys/fs/mqueue files

From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2014 - 06:12:51 EST

Hi Doug,

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-09-29 at 11:10 +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
>> Hello Doug, David,
>>
>> I think you two were the last ones to make significant
>> changes to the semantics of the files in /proc/sys/fs/mqueue,
>> so I wonder if you (or anyone else who is willing) might
>> take a look at the man page text below that I've written
>> (for the mq_overview(7) page) to describe past and current
>> reality, and let me know of improvements of corrections.
>>
>> By the way, Doug, your commit ce2d52cc1364 appears to have
>> changed/broken the semantics of the files in the /dev/mqueue
>> filesystem. Formerly, the QSIZE field in these files showed
>> the number of bytes of real user data in all of the queued
>> messages. After that commit, QSIZE now includes kernel
>> overhead bytes, which does not seem very useful for user
>> space. Was that change intentional? I see no mention of the
>> change in the commit message, so it sounds like it was not
>> intended.
>
> That change didn't come in that commit. That commit modified it, but
> didn't introduce it.

(Which commit was it then? d6629859b36 ?)

> Now, was it intentional? Yes. Is it valuable, useful? That depends on
> your perspective.

Thanks for the detailed explanation below. However, I don't understand
why the (useful) work that you describe below necessitated a change in
the QSIZE value that was exposed to user space. Surely the necessary
changes could have been done internally while still leaving QSIZE to
expose the same value it ever did? As things stand now (and unless I
am missing something), QSIZE exposes an implementation-specific
internal value that has little meaning or value to user space. And,
it's unfortunate that the commit message made no mention of the fact
that there was an ABI change here.

[...]

> The man page below looks fine to me.

Thanks for checking it!