Re: [git pull] Input updates for 3.17-rc6

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Fri Sep 26 2014 - 15:14:30 EST

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 11:19:51AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Dmitry Torokhov
> <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > to receive updates for the input subsystem. You will get a small fixup to
> > i8042 adding Asus X450LCP to the nomux list.
>
> Side note: I'm wondering how painful it would be to just make nomux
> the default.
>
> I think it's getting to be a legacy issue, since the traditional
> reason for it (afaik) is just having both an external PS/2 port _and_
> a touchpad connnected to the same controller. And even when that
> happens, it seems that as often as not, the bug reports in this area
> have been about the touchpad _not_ working due to us incorrectly
> thinking it's muxed.
>
> I dunno. Maybe mux mode is used more than I think it is, and it would
> cause tons of problems. But I do find myself wondering whether we'd be
> better off not doing mux by default, and making the DMI check instead
> check for systems that *do* want muxing.
>
> Hmm? Am I just being crazy?

Not a all. In fact, we've been discussing it recently and I am going to flip
the flag for 3.18. I really think that number users with laptops correctly
implementing MUX and who are also using docking stations with external PS/2
mice) is miniscule (note that we are not talking about users who prefer
external mouse - you don't need MUX for that - we are talking about users who
want native touchpad protocol and also external mouse - at the same time).

Thanks.

--
Dmitry