Re: Using devices in Containers

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Thu Sep 25 2014 - 14:22:29 EST

riya khanna <riyakhanna1983@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> What kind of existing multiplexers could be used? Is there one for fb? We have
> evdev abstractions for input in place already.

We have X and Wayland/Weston and pulse audio and doubtless more that I
am not aware of.

For video a lot of working is going into compositing and handling
multiple contexts in the hardware so there may already be support in the
kernel.

Fundamentally these are all pieces of hardware we allow multiple
userspace applications access to their information or to modify.
Therefore there is existing multiplexing somewhere.

I won't claim all of the existing multiplexing methods are good and
should be used as is, but they definitely should be used as a starting
point.

>From another perspective there is how kvm tackles this today. If you
really want to emulate the hardware and make it appear that your
instance of userspace has direct hardware access building upon the
infrastructure that is used for kvm may be worth exploring.

Eric