Re: [RFC 2/2] perf: Marker software event and ioctl

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Sep 16 2014 - 03:44:34 EST

* David Ahern <dsahern@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/12/14, 2:44 PM, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

> >>Seems really similar to what I proposed in the past:
> >>
> >>https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/2/27/159
> >>
> >>Which was rejected.
> >
> >I took a look at that thread, but just barely, emphasis on that.
> >
> >Injecting something from userspace, a la ftrace, seems to be something,
> >as tglx mentioned, "buried" in that patchset.
>
> Thomas object to an ioctl buried deep in a patch -- newbie
> mistake.
>
> Peter objected to the ioctl https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/3/1/229
>
> It was not userspace injecting random data into the stream but
> rather forcing the sample to be generated and added to the
> stream.

I think adding an ioctl to inject user-provided data into the
event stream is sensible, as long as there's a separate 'user
generated data' event for it, etc.

The main usecase I could see would be to introduce a
perf_printf() variant, supported by 'perf trace' by default, to
add various tracable printouts to apps.

Timestamps generated by apps would be another usecase. It would
probably be wise to add a 32-bit (or 64-bit) message type ID,
plus a length field, with a message type registry somewhere in
tools/perf/ (and reference implementation for each new subtype),
to keep things organized yet flexible going forward.

Thanks,

Ingo