Re: location for new bus driver-- drivers/bus? drivers/misc?

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Fri Aug 15 2014 - 16:05:42 EST

On Monday 11 August 2014, gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 04:25:49PM +0000, Stuart Yoder wrote:
> > Greg,
> >
> > We (Freescale) have a patch series nearly ready to send out
> > for a new bus driver. It's for a block we call the Freescale
> > 'Management Complex' which manages discoverable hardware objects.
> > The Linux bus driver enumerates these objects, binds discovered
> > objects to drivers just like PCI or any normal bus driver.
>
> Sounds good.
>
> > Question is-- where should this go in the kernel and who would
> > the maintainer be to cc: the RFC? I don't think it warrants
> > a top level driver directory beside pci, usb, etc. Most likely
> > place is drivers/bus or drivers/misc (?).
> >
> > We currently have it in drivers/bus, but as far as I can see
> > there is no maintainer per se for that directory. You and
> > Arnd manage misc so thought I would ask.
>
> I don't remember why drivers/bus/ came about, Arnd, you created it,
> should we be putting random bus controllers in this directory?

I think it would be good to have this new driver in drivers/bus.

So far, I think all code in there has been merged through the
arm-soc tree, mainly because there is no other maintainer for it
yet. The drivers we have in there are not all the same kind,
the commonality ends at the point of being something that can
be considered a bus (so it fits here better than into MFD or misc)
and not being large enough to justify its own top-level directory.

I initially suggested actually moving some of the existing top-level
directories with simple bus drivers here too, but that was a bit
controversial, so I never followed up on that.

> And if so, sure, I can maintain drivers/bus/ along with the misc/char
> drivers, it's not a big deal.

Sounds good, I'd be glad to have you listed as the official maintainer
so we can hand it off from the inofficial arm-soc adoption, and if it's
listed as part of the char/misc section, I will also be listed by
scripts/get_maintainer.pl to do reviews.

Arnd