Re: [GIT PULL] Global signal cleanup

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Wed Aug 06 2014 - 20:28:37 EST

Hi Richard,

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 13:29:10 +0200 Richard Weinberger <richard@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 06.08.2014 13:27, schrieb Stephen Rothwell:
> >
> > On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 13:18:54 +0200 Richard Weinberger <richard@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> the following changes since commit 19583ca584d6f574384e17fe7613dfaeadcdc4a6:
> >>
> >> Linux 3.16 (2014-08-03 15:25:02 -0700)
> >>
> >> are available in the git repository at:
> >>
> >> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rw/misc.git signal-cleanup
> >
> > This has all been rebased onto v3.16 but none of the patches changed.
>
> This was my indention. Also I've added some acks.
> Did I screw something up?

We discourage people from rebasing their trees just before asking Linus
to pull them unless they have a good reason. Adding Acks is not
necessarily a good reason. It may be a different thing if you rewrite
your tree (without changing it base) and, given that none of your
actual patches changed, that would have worked for you.

In your case, since you haven't updated the branch (signal_v4) that I
fetch for linux-next, its doubly bad as, after Linus' pulls your tree,
I will have two copies of all those patches in my tree - which could
easily lead to conflicts that I really don't need to have.

Also, note that the fact that the actual patches did not change at all
means that either you missed some change that coudl have justified the
rebase, or the rebase was unnecessary (since the things you are
patching did not change).
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx