Re: Disabling physical RAM regions for testing

From: martin f. krafft
Date: Tue Aug 05 2014 - 09:06:41 EST

also sprach Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@xxxxxxxxx> [2014-08-05 14:26 +0200]:
> The e820 is probably not what you want to be looking at. I would
> suggest looking into memory hot-plug/hot-remove support, IIRC the
> hot-remove support allows you to bring a bank offline.

Oh, good pointer, yeah, that would do and allow for online testing
to some degree.

I found http://feishare.com/linux/memory-hotplug-in-linux and
memory0 through memory69 in /sys/devices/system/memory, and only
3 of those are "removable==1".

My goal is to bring one of the two 4Gb DIMMs offline, verify that
the error I am seeing still exists, bring it back online and take
the other offline.

How do I find out which memory to hot-remove?

Am I right in assuming that I won't be able to remove
one-then-the-other as some memory regions may not be movable?

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/

"the scientific paper in its orthodox form does embody a totally
mistaken conception, even a travesty, of the nature of scientific
thought."
-- sir peter medawar

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx