Re: Howto tell kernel to use 4096 as granularity & minimum size?

From: Linda Walsh
Date: Mon Jul 21 2014 - 16:45:39 EST

Dave Chinner wrote:

I can partition the disk and setup the allocation size
to 4096, but I'd like to tell the kernel to use a
virtual-size of 4096 for the sector as an additional
performance 'hint', so nothing will even try to use
smaller i/o's than that.

Just format the filesystem with 4k sector size.
---
Good idea, though.. I wanted to set it for the whole "disk"(array)
as it (multiple 4T drives) will be subdivided into multiple filesystems
and have lvm and a partition table under the file system(s),
so telling the kernel to only do 4K alloc+io's to the whole thing
would cover the most with the least.