Re: [RFC] Add "rpm_not_supported" flag

From: Alan Stern
Date: Thu Jul 17 2014 - 10:27:52 EST

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 04:03:45 PM Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> > > That really looks a bit like a hack to me to be honest.

My thought exactly.

> > > Greg, what's your plan toward this?
> >
> > If I need to revert something that you all find was wrong, I'll be glad
> > to do so, sorry for merging something too early.
>
> Alan, what do you think?

I'm in favor of reverting that commit and putting something else in its
place. But first we have to figure out an approach that will satisfy
everyone.

I've been hoping that Dan would contribute to this thread. He has
spear-headed this whole line of development, and he wrote the commit in
question.

Maybe he would be happy with the simplest approach: If the device
doesn't support runtime PM, write a message in the kernel log and make
->runtime_suspend() always return -EBUSY.

> I think we're still unsure if the approach taken by that commit is correct,
> but then I suppose we don't need to revert it at this point and we can fix
> it later. Is that correct, or would fixing it be difficult for some reason?

As far as I can see, it would be okay to wait a while before making any
changes.

Alan Stern