Re: [Bug report] Hit false positives bug with script/checkpatch.pl

From: ethan zhao
Date: Wed Jul 16 2014 - 02:56:03 EST

On 2014/7/16 12:20, Joe Perches wrote:
On Wed, 2014-07-16 at 10:50 +0800, Ethan Zhao wrote:
Hi,
I hit a false positives bug when run script/checkpatch.pl to my patch,
It reported errors to following macro definition, but in fact the macro is
correct, I couldn't change that macro according to the error message output
by script/checkpatch.pl. because of this bug, my patch was rejected by some
guy's patchwork.
You could tell the guy checkpatch isn't always right.
He doesn't see my patch, because he filters it out for this issue.

You could also change the macro to something like:

#define NETXEN_NIC_STAT(name, m) \
{ \
.name = name, \
.type = m, \
.sizeof_stat = FIELD_SIZEOF(struct netxen_adapter, m), \
.stat_offset = offsetof(struct netxen_adapter, m) \
}
This works for me, thanks for your reply.

Ethan
and change the uses like:

static const struct netxen_nic_stats netxen_nic_gstrings_stats[] = {
NETXEN_NIC_STAT("xmit called", stats.xmitcalled),
NETXEN_NIC_STAT("xmit_finished", stats.xmitfinished),

etc...