Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the v4l-dvb tree

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Tue Jul 15 2014 - 05:01:35 EST

On 07/14/2014 10:55 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
Hi Guenter,

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 22:43:42 -0700 Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 07/14/2014 08:29 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

After merging the v4l-dvb tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc ppc64_defconfig)
failed like this:

arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c:764:2: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type [-Werror]
{ cpu_smt_mask, powerpc_smt_flags, SD_INIT_NAME(SMT) },
^
arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c:764:2: error: (near initialization for 'powerpc_topology[0].sd_flags') [-Werror]

Caused by commit 6a0b50087a89 ("Merge branch 'patchwork' into
to_next"). The change to include/linux/sched.h in this merge commit
does not seem to appear in either of the parents of the merge.

Its also a change that (when suggested) was shown to cause more
problems than it was worth and dropped. I can't imagine how it ended
up in the merge commit.

Do you mean b6220ad66 (sched: Fix compiler warnings) ? I thought that was accepted
a week or so ago.

That is in the tip tree and includes the fixups to powerpc and arm. I
don't merge the tip tree till well after the v4l-dvb tree. The merge
in the v4l-dvb tree included only the change to include/linus/sched.h
and neither parent fo that merge was based on the tip tree ...

Ah, looks like that is the older version of my patch. You are right, this version
did have problems.

Thanks,
Guenter