Re: [RFC] trace-cmd: add the ability to install libtracecmd

From: Josef Bacik
Date: Fri Jul 11 2014 - 14:27:39 EST

On 07/10/2014 06:53 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 17:22:45 -0400
Josef Bacik <jbacik@xxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to build some custom tracing tools on top of trace-cmd but they
aren't really usefull outside of Facebook so I don't want to shove them into the
actual trace-cmd project. Instead I'd like to be able to just build libtracecmd
and install that as well as the necessary header files and just link my tools
against that. I'm shit at userspace stuff like this, so I've just hacked
something together that works for me. I'm mostly hoping somebody will look at
the Makefile horribleness that I came up with and tell me how to do it right (or
better yet do it for me!) The second patch just cleans up some stuff to make
the shared library more library esque. Any feedback would be great. Thanks,

I'm shit at userspace too ;-) I just like simple makefiles and other
non "autocrap" stuff.

Anyway, I did plan on getting a libtracecmd out someday (at a bottom of
a very long todo list), so I'm all game for this. I was hoping to get
libtraceevent out first. That's now homed in the kernel tools
directory and I've been porting stuff to and from trace-cmd for that as
well. But there's still a bit of work on that front.

I'll have to take a look at your patches and see how they are after I
get some other things out of the way first.

Ok I didn't notice the libtracecmd, so I'll send the second patch against that since it's just against the event parse stuff. In reality all I need is the event parsing stuff, I just use the libtracecmd to open the trace.dat file. I'll see if I can figure out how to just parse the events live without having to record with trace-cmd first and that will probably be good enough for me for now, then maybe when I care about post-processing trace.dat you will have gotten to the bottom of your TODO list. Thanks,

Josef