Re: [bisected] pre-3.16 regression on open() scalability

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Wed Jun 18 2014 - 16:31:18 EST

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:36:25AM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:

> > OK, so a default setting on the order of 20-30 jiffies looks promising.
>
> For the biggest machine I have today, yeah. But, we need to be a bit
> careful here. The CPUs I'm running it on were released 3 years ago and
> I think we need to be planning at _least_ for today's large systems. I
> would guess that by raising ...EVERY_THIS_JIFFIES, we're shifting this
> curve out to the right:
>
> http://sr71.net/~dave/intel/3.16-open1regression-0.png
>
> so that we're _just_ before the regression hits us. But that just
> guarantees I'll hit this again when I get new CPUs. :)

Understood. One approach would be to scale this in a manner similar
to the scaling of the delay from the beginning of the grace period
to the start of quiescent-state forcing, which is about three jiffies
on small systems scaling up to about 20 jiffies on large systems.

> If we go this route, I think we should probably take it up in to the
> 100-200 range, or even scale it to something on the order of what the
> rcu stall timeout is. Other than the stall detector, is there some
> other reason to be forcing frequent quiescent states?

Yep. CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL+nohz_full kernels running in kernel mode don't
progress RCU grace periods. But they should not need to be all that
frequent.

Thanx, Paul