Re: perf: Add support for full Intel event lists v6

From: Namhyung Kim
Date: Sun Jun 15 2014 - 09:03:19 EST

Hi Hagen,

2014-06-14 (í), 22:49 +0200, Hagen Paul Pfeifer:
> Probably too late, but IMHO the subcommand "download" is unhappy
> named. What is "downloaded"? traces? Python helper libs for
> perf-python support, I don't know it. What about "events-download",
> "events-database", ...

Hmm.. maybe we can add support something like above later - "perf
download event" or "perf download blabla".

But I have a different idea - leaving perf download as a plumbing tool,
and add --download option into the perf list to call it internally.
Maybe it can automatically download event file if it didn't find the
file in the local cache.

> I also thought about further sub-command to delete the cache, update
> the cache, limit pull to specific vendors, ... I know this is the
> first shot and further subcommands can be added. But we will end up in
> something like
> E.g.:
>
> perf events-download pull
> perf events-download pull --vendor amd
> perf events-download update
> perf events-download purge

Looks like 'event-cache' is a more appropriate name IMHO.

Anyway, thank you for the thought and suggestion. :)

Thanks,
Namhyung