Re: drivers/char/random.c: More futzing about

From: George Spelvin
Date: Wed Jun 11 2014 - 21:52:42 EST

> Sadly I can't find the tree, but I'm 94% sure it was Skein-256
> (specifically the SHA3-256 candidate parameter set.)

It would be nice to have two hash functions, optimized separately for 32-
and 64-bit processors. As the Skein report says, the algorithm can
be adapted to 32 bits easily enough.

I also did some work a while ago to adapt the Skein parameter search
code to develop a Skein-192 (6x32 bits) that would fit into registers
on x86-32. (It got stalled when I e-mailed Niels Ferguson about it
and never heard back; it fell off the to-do list while I was waiting.)

The intended target was IPv6 address hashing for sequence number
randomization, but it could be used for pool hashing, too.