Re: drivers/char/random.c: more ruminations

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Mon Jun 09 2014 - 21:20:49 EST

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 08:20:57PM -0400, George Spelvin wrote:

> I have an idea for a patch to change _xfer_secondary_pool
> to use extract_buf rather than extract_entropy; is all that
> FIPS stuff needed for purely internal transfers?

That's not the part of extract_entropy() which is critical. What's
critical is the control over only transfering entropy when there is at
least a certain minimum amount of entropy. This provides the
Yarrow-like avalanche property which is required to provide recovery
after the internal state of the entropy pools have been exposed.

> Also, shouldn't the r->last_pulled holdoff in xfer_secondary_pool be
> really limited to actual transfers? I.e. reorder the conditions as...

Yes, that makes sense.

Cheers,

- Ted