Re: [RFC 03/16] kgr: initial code

From: Jiri Slaby
Date: Tue May 20 2014 - 07:36:49 EST

On 05/14/2014 11:28 AM, Aravinda Prasad wrote:
>> +/*
>> + * The stub needs to modify the RIP value stored in struct pt_regs
>> + * so that ftrace redirects the execution properly.
>> + */
>> +#define KGR_STUB_ARCH_SLOW(_name, _new_function) \
>> +static void _new_function ##_stub_slow (unsigned long ip, unsigned long parent_ip, \
>> + struct ftrace_ops *ops, struct pt_regs *regs) \
>> +{ \
>> + struct kgr_loc_caches *c = ops->private; \
>> + \
>> + if (task_thread_info(current)->kgr_in_progress && current->mm) {\
>
> Is there a race here? The per task kgr_in_progress is set after
> the slow stub is registered in register_ftrace_function(). If the
> patched function is called in between it will be redirected to new code.

Hi Aravinda!

Yes, you are right. I have just fixed by first setting the flag, then
start patching.

>> + pr_info("kgr: slow stub: calling old code at %lx\n", \
>> + c->old); \
>> + regs->ip = c->old + MCOUNT_INSN_SIZE; \
>> + } else { \
>> + pr_info("kgr: slow stub: calling new code at %lx\n", \
>> + c->new); \
>> + regs->ip = c->new; \
>> + } \
>
> [...]
>
>> +static void kgr_mark_processes(void)
>> +{
>> + struct task_struct *p;
>> +
>> + read_lock(&tasklist_lock);
>> + for_each_process(p)
>> + task_thread_info(p)->kgr_in_progress = true;
>
> Is there a need for memory barrier here (or in slow stub) to avoid
> the race if the slow stub is about to be called from a thread executing
> on another CPU?

Yes, it should. But since we convert it to bit-ops in 16/16, this is no
issue in the final implementation. I will fix the "initial code" though.

>> + * kgr_start_patching -- the entry for a kgraft patch
>> + * @patch: patch to be applied
>> + *
>> + * Start patching of code that is neither running in IRQ context nor
>> + * kernel thread.
>> + */
>> +int kgr_start_patching(const struct kgr_patch *patch)
>> +{
>> + const struct kgr_patch_fun *const *patch_fun;
>> +
>> + if (!kgr_initialized) {
>> + pr_err("kgr: can't patch, not initialized\n");
>> + return -EINVAL;
>> + }
>> +
>> + mutex_lock(&kgr_in_progress_lock);
>> + if (kgr_in_progress) {
>> + pr_err("kgr: can't patch, another patching not yet finalized\n");
>> + mutex_unlock(&kgr_in_progress_lock);
>> + return -EAGAIN;
>> + }
>> +
>> + for (patch_fun = patch->patches; *patch_fun; patch_fun++) {
>> + int ret;
>> +
>> + ret = kgr_patch_code(*patch_fun, false);
>> + /*
>> + * In case any of the symbol resolutions in the set
>> + * has failed, patch all the previously replaced fentry
>> + * callsites back to nops and fail with grace
>> + */
>> + if (ret < 0) {
>> + for (; patch_fun >= patch->patches; patch_fun--)
>> + unregister_ftrace_function((*patch_fun)->ftrace_ops_slow);
>> + mutex_unlock(&kgr_in_progress_lock);
>> + return ret;
>> + }
>> + }
>> + kgr_in_progress = true;
>> + kgr_patch = patch;
>> + mutex_unlock(&kgr_in_progress_lock);
>> +
>> + kgr_mark_processes();
>> +
>> + /*
>> + * give everyone time to exit kernel, and check after a while
>> + */
>
> I understand that the main intention of kgraft is to apply simple
> security fixes. However, if the patch changes the locking order,
> I think, there is a possibility of deadlock.
>
> A thread which has not yet returned to user space calls the old
> code (not redirected to new code in slow stub) which might acquire
> the lock in the old order say lock1 followed by lock2. Meanwhile
> another thread which re-enters the kernel space, with kgr_in_progress
> unset, is redirected to the new code which acquires the lock in reverse
> order, say lock2 and lock1. This can cause deadlock.

Yes, this is a problem I was thinking of in another context yesterday.
Patching ->read or any other file_openrations which hold state over
user<->kernel switches may be a potential threat like above. The same as
in other implementations of live patching IMO. I put that on a TODO
checklist for creating patches. This has to be investigated manually
when creating a patch.

thanks for review,
--
js