Re: mm: NULL ptr deref handling mmaping of special mappings

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Thu May 15 2014 - 15:43:19 EST

On May 14, 2014 8:36 PM, "Pavel Emelyanov" <xemul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/15/2014 02:23 AM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> >> Well, for criu we've not modified any vdso kernel's code (except
> >> setting VM_SOFTDIRTY for this vdso VMA in _install_special_mapping).
> >> And never experienced problems Sasha points. Looks like indeed in
> >> -next code is pretty different from mainline one. To figure out
> >> why I need to fetch -next branch and get some research. I would
> >> try to do that tomorrow (still hoping someone more experienced
> >> in mm system would beat me on that).
> >
> > I can summarize:
> >
> > On 3.14 and before, the vdso is just a bunch of ELF headers and
> > executable data. When executed by 64-bit binaries, it reads from the
> > fixmap to do its thing. That is, it reads from kernel addresses that
> > don't have vmas. When executed by 32-bit binaries, it doesn't read
> > anything, since there was no 32-bit timing code.
> >
> > On 3.15, the x86_64 vdso is unchanged. The 32-bit vdso is preceded by
> > a separate vma containing two pages worth of time-varying read-only
> > data. The vdso reads those pages using PIC references.
> >
> > On linux-next, all vdsos work the same way. There are two vmas. The
> > first vma is executable text, which can be poked at by ptrace, etc
> > normally. The second vma contains time-varying state, should not
> > allow poking, and is accessed by PIC references.
>
> Is this 2nd vma seen in /proc/pid/maps? And if so, is it marked somehow?

It is in maps, and it's not marked. I can write a patch to change
that. I imagine it shouldn't be called [vdso], though.

> > What does CRIU do to restore the vdso? Will 3.15 and/or linux-next
> > need to make some concession for CRIU?
>
> We detect the vdso by "[vdso]" mark in proc at dump time and mark it in
> the images. At restore time we check that vdso symbols layout hasn't changed
> and just remap it in proper location.
>
> If this remains the same in -next, then we're fine :)

If you just remap the vdso, you'll crash.

This is the case in 3.15, too, for 32-bit apps, anyway.

What happens if you try to checkpoint a program that's in the vdso or,
worse, in a signal frame with the vdso on the stack?

--Andy