Re: perf,tools: Remove usage of trace_sched_wakeup(.success)

From: Dongsheng Yang
Date: Tue May 13 2014 - 07:10:26 EST

On 05/13/2014 07:03 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 03:34:32PM +0900, Dongsheng Yang wrote:
On 05/13/2014 04:22 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

trace_sched_wakeup(.success) is a dead argument and has been for ages,
Always 0, or random value?
Hi Ingo,

It is always 1 currently.

Peter believe that .success is not useful and I pointed that perf sched
latency
is using it now. Then he post this patch to remove the usage here.

Please go to the following link for more about this issue.
It is _not_ usable. You're proposing to abuse the existing parameter. A
wakeup doing an enqueue or not has nothing _WHAT_SO_EVER_ to do with
success.

Now what I think you wanted to do is make it easier to match
trace_sched_switch() statements with trace_sched_wakeup() statements.
And since you only get the trace_sched_switch() on dequeue, you want to
know which trace_sched_wakeup() calls did an enqueue.

Ha, yes, indeed. In perf sched latency, we need to know the timestamp
when a task enqueue and then we can calculate the delay time.
So I want to take the use of success parameter in trace_sched_wakeup()
to indicate that *this* wakeup did an enqueue.

But now I think it is okey if you really mind adding more tracepoints in
scheduler. And I posted a patch after your patch in this thread to make
perf sched latency work well.

But that's completely and utterly unrelated to success.