SCHED_DEADLINE, sched_getscheduler(), and sched_getparam()

From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
Date: Mon May 12 2014 - 08:10:23 EST

Hi Peter,

Looking at the code of sched_getparam() and sched_setscheduler() (to
see what might need to land in the man pagea with respect to
SCHED_DEADLINE changes), I see that the former fails (EINVAL) if the
target is a SCHED_DEADLINE process, while the latter succeeds
(returning SCHED_DEADLINE).

The sched_setscheduler() seems fine, but what's the rationale for
having sched_getparam() fail in this case, rather than just returning
a sched_priority of zero (since sched_priority is in any case unused,
as for SCHED_OTHER, right)? My point is that the change seems to
needlessly break applications that employ sched_getparam(). Maybe I am
missing something...

Cheers,

Michael

--