Question: hwmon: Adding addtitional sysfs entries

From: Andreas Werner
Date: Sat May 10 2014 - 07:40:28 EST

Hi,
i am currently working on an implemenation of my Board Management Controller (BMC).

This Controller is a MCR assembled on almost all of our Compact PCI or Compact PCI Serial
Cards as well as on some other CPU Boards.

The BMC includes LED´s, Watchdog, Voltage Monitoring and some other features.
I have already implemented an MFD driver, LED and Watchdog driver.

Currently i am working on the hwmon implemenation. This includes for the first step the
voltage monitoring.

The BMC has some other feature which are not supported by any of the subsystem.
- Errorcounter (Board status)
- Power Failure status
- Operating ours
- Do software reset, do cold reset
- Set power modes
- Backplate Geographical Address

These are all informations related to the Board where the BMC is assembled to.
I think all those features could be part of the hwmon implementation.

Is it possible to add "custom" sysfs entries in my hwmon driver to support all these features?
Does lm-sensor ingore those custom features or is it a problem for lm-sensors?

What is the normal way to add those features?

Regards
Andy