Re: [perf] more perf_fuzzer memory corruption

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Thu May 01 2014 - 14:45:40 EST

OK, humor me a bit here.

I'm looking at the buggy trace and comparing against a "good" trace where
the bug doesn't happen.

It is a rance condition of sorts, because it's just a 10us or so
interleaving of calls that causes the bug to happen or not.

In the good trace:

[parent] __perf_event_task_sched_out (and hence perf_swevent_del)
[child] perf_release

In the buggy trace:

[child] perf_release
[parent] __perf_event_task_sched_out (perf_swevent_del never happens)

perf_swevent_del calls
hlist_del_rcu(event->hlist_entry)
to remove the event from the swevent hlist.

Now in theory perf_release() calls sw_perf_event_destroy() which you
would think would also call the above. Instead it does
swevent_hlist_put_cpu(event, cpu);
which does all kinds of weird hash stuff that I don't follow.

Should the above two be equivelent? Is it reference counting in there
with if (!--swhash->hlist_refcount) causing the issue?

Anyway I'm tired of staring at traces for the moment.

Vince