Re: [bisected] broken make-kpkg kernel build in 3.15-rc1

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Tue Apr 15 2014 - 15:07:50 EST

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> Right, so the thing to do is to run a build with the commit applied,
> without any -j arguments and V=1, logging the output (so that predictable
> output can be generated).
>
> Then run the same thing with the commit reverted, again logging it. Then
> diff the two and see what's different.

OK, I captured the output. No diffs, as of course reverting things
means one kernel was called 3.15-rc1 and one 3.15-rc1+ which meant more or
less every line changed.

It seems that on stock 3.15-rc1 (which fails to build) after running
depmod it kicks into

restore_upstream_debianization

which goes down a path which causes the file permission failures

Wheras 3.15-rc1 with the problem commit reverted this doesn't happen.

This is a really weird bug, I've tried reverting individual hunks of the
problem commit manually and it is not clear at all to me what is
triggering this.

Vince