3.13.9: ethernet connectivity issue

From: Udo van den Heuvel
Date: Tue Apr 15 2014 - 09:52:33 EST

People,

Here's an issue with ethernet connectivity that stops working but is
resurrected with an `ifdown eth0; ifup eth0`.

The board is a Jetway JNC84E-LF with AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 235e Processor.
Network chip: 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co.,
Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03
is handled by r8169 driver.
After a while (less than 24 hours typical) I discover that this machine
is not reachable anymore and solve it with ifdown/ifup.
I find no related messages in dmesg nor /var/log/messages.
I tried to continuously ping this box but that did not help.

How could I find the cause of this issue that started occurring after
booting into 3.13.9?
Before this kernel it ran 3.12.5 since just before Christmas 2013
without this issue.

Kind regards,
Udo