Re: Cryogenic: Enabling Power-Aware Applications on Linux

From: David Lang
Date: Fri Apr 11 2014 - 20:11:48 EST

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014, Christian Grothoff wrote:

On 04/12/2014 12:05 AM, Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

Cryogenic is the result of my Master's Thesis, completed at the Technical University
of Munich under the supervision of Christian Grothoff. You can find more information
about Cryogenic at https://gnunet.org/cryogenic

Hmm, but the API needs redoing, anyway, fcntl()?

Depends --- while I like the idea, I did not hear enough to be
certain that having this feature embedded in such a non-modular
way was already the consensus (and I do not see a reasonable
way to change the API this way while maintaining the modularity
of the current code).

hpa has a good track record for things like this, and there is very little desire in Linux for things to be kept as an optional add-on module (and cgroups is a very pointed example of what happens if a capability that people wants gets ignored).

this sort of capability is something that is very desirable, there are many people making attempts to provide this sort of event consolidation. So I think it's _very_ safe to say that if this is accepted, it will be a change to the core, not just a loadable module.

This means that you need to go through the work hpa was pointing you at, and you will also need to do some analysis of what the cost is to have this capability in place, but without the application making use of it (because anything remotely useful _will_ get enabled in a distro kernel, so how badly does it hurt high-performance server apps if it's compiled in)

David Lang